Isaiah 43:5

"Do not fear, for I am with you; I will bring your offspring from the east, and gather you from the west." Isaiah 43:5

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Finding Normal



Well the jet lag is beginning to fade and Eli is feeling pretty good with mom, when he is not tired and knows dad is around some where. He smiles and we play but cuddles are most freely given to sister and dad. Yesterday he kissed Hannah on the cheek, he picks things up so fast. Our biggest challenge has been his attachment to dad, however we are making steps towards him accepting me as a permanent feature. I read about 1 parent attachment and found comfort in the fact that many children cope this way and 75% attach to dad, whew it's not me! SO I feed him his bottles and meals, give him his baths, and cuddle when we can. I was encouraged today how much he let me do even when dad was around. Progress not perfection. Tomorrow dad heads to work and we will pray for the best. I keep reminding myself it has been 1 week and its good for a boy to adore his dad.
As for fitting in the family, well he loves to dance to music and likes me to sing to him. Music is always on in our house! I managed to get him to sit in his high chair for 5 minutes and color a picture with Hannah. They they played Barbies with dad and I helping keep small pieces out of Eli's mouth. He likes to brush their hair. I found this out because earlier that day he wanted to brush my hair so I suggested he might like the Barbie brush. Dad was not pleased with this compromise, he preferred Eli biting them! Ha ha! I see so much of Hannah in Eli and cannot wait to see how that grows and changes.

4 comments:

  1. I have heard the same thing about the tendency to attach to one parent initially and almost always its the dad. I am praying the bond between the two of you grows stronger each and every day and for a smooth transition as John returns to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt like second best for a while, but when my husband went back to work, our relationship improved... hope it will be like that for you.

    Blessings in your first few weeks together...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love seeing hannah and eli together! and that picture of eli biting snow white's leg is hilarious!
    it's great to hear that you are settling into a routine...it will probably be challenging with john going back to work (it was for me!), but i know your days with hannah and eli will be so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy for you! Praying your bond with Eli strengthens each day. I know it must be so hard, but he'll fall so deeply in love with you in no time!! :)

    ReplyDelete